« Home | Finally a fast connection from Coffee Day on alta... » | Zero Expectations... » | I'm flying to New York on Friday to spend the wee... » | One ordinary woman, one extraordinary legacy. ... » | Looking for a put-down? Nouns beat phrases. Resea... » | That's What I'm Talking About.. » | 1, 2, 3 Soleils » | Got tagged again.. » | I've been tagged... » | A little inspiration off a Starbucks cup.. » 

Thursday, December 01, 2005 

Fe Selam Al6a2erah

I typed this on my way from Riyadh to New York.

“Is it alright to smoke on this flight?” The guy next to me asked. He also happened to be sitting in my seat. I replied with all baja7ah for the bajee7 of a person I am, “Uh..when was the last time you were on a plane?”
I had fun in Riyadh. Seriously I did. I met up with a lot of friends, ran into old high school classmates, and spent at least an hour a day with the family. I’m still the anti-social weasel in the house. I thought I grew out of it but I guess not. I have a lot of shit to do in L.A. I also need to drive/fly to Colorado to do some graduate school applying. But I have to stop by my old place in Boise, Idaho to pick my winter clothes. I had left them there after knowing that the weather in Southern California hardly ever changes.
I’m going to go ahead and list, in my opinion, the most important, or not, events that had occurred while I was in Riyadh.

- Spent Eid in my family’s hometown, Aldwadmi: Boring as usual.
- Went to Althemamah on a very cold and windy night: We had made plans to go ride those dirt buggy bikes, or whatever they’re called, then do a little bbqing later on that night. Here’s the thing. I got lost while riding the bike, and was left in al63oos (sand dunes) stranded in the starry night trying to find either my friends or my way back. sniff sniff. When I finally stumbled upon the bike rental place, the guy asks for an extra fee for returning the bike late. I was like, F’er, I almost died out there :| And yeah, no bbq, it was freezing.
- Ahilal Vs. Alahli in Riyadh: 4-1….great game. (tough luck Misfer) :p
- The tragic bombings in 3amman, Jordan and the loss of Mustafa Al3aqad (Allah yar7ameh): This man has been trying to paint a good picture for Arabs and Muslims in the eyes of the western media. Killed by the same people he was trying to defend. Again, it comes to tell you how blind terrorism is.
- Met a real old childhood friend of mine: The last time we talked was around 15 years ago when she was in my sixth grade class. I get an e-mail from her. Apparently one of her cousins told her about a blog or something then she found out about mine. I still don’t understand the story exactly, but the moral of the story is, useless blogging pays off in the end…sometimes.

I had the iPod playing in my ears while trying to sleep on this flight, in addition to many failed attempts to fall asleep, this song by M7amad 3aboh starts playing for the first time. It’s called fe selam al6a2rah. Didn’t even know this song was in my list. Pretty good song, btw. Song of the day, because I’m going to be on this flight all day. I’m somewhere over the Atlantic.

A jumble of episodes...WB :) Where in CO? It's strange that you're studying psychology and you're the loner in your household :P

Thanks Erzulie. Fort Collins, Colorado. As for psychology, I'm actually making a pure application by being the eldest amongst my siblings, and there's a 6-year gap between me and my next sibling, who happens to be a sister. So, it's natural for me to rebel :p

Sami, i am the mariam who saw paradise now. I'm also a saudi student here in new york, and there was noooooo chance of catching the film in riyadh (lol).I'll start reading your blog.
By the way, psychology/saudi = oxymoron. You know there is no mental illness nor neurosis in the magic kingdom, allah is the answer to all. Furthermore,if you admit to anything they'll check you out for djinn (lol). salam, mariam

Oh wow I loved "Paradise Now." LOVED IT. I didn't see any biased viewpoints in it, meaning that both sides were sorta victims/oppressors. Oh and Fort Collins? It's pretty quiet there (good for studying :P)...you would've been better off in Denver/Boulder...I might visit in spring! Ciao...

Hey buddy .. hamdellah 3ala elsalama .. were you able to catch a flight from NY to LA ?? or you got stuck there ?? btw, elRiyadh me'6alma men doonek allah ya5eth 3adowwek :), yalla salamt elasfar .. take care, BaDeR.

Deedee: Thanks :)

Nourah: Allah yesalmik. Why the hell was your family card issued from aldwadmi lol
Maybe my daddy knows your daddy. He went to school over there. I went to elementary school there, too.

Mariam: Thanks for stopping by. I really liked the Paradise Now. I actually saw it in a little independent theatre in East Village in New York. As for psychology, I've been battered, cursed, got fruits thrown at me, every time I mentioned that I was a psychology major when I was in Saudi. :p
Welcome to my crappy blog..

Foulla: Merci. Je ne parle pas francais. Je suis desole :p

Erzulie: I know Fort Collins is quite, that's why I'm moving from L.A. lol 7ayak allah

Bader: hala wallah..allah yesalemak ya waladi. As for the flight, I missed it. I actually missed it while I was in RIyadh lol so I had to pay around $200 to get on the other flight. Thanks man.

I'm gonna ignore: "I had fun in Riyadh. Seriously I did."

yallah 7mdellah 3ala elsalama :)

Foulla: I did check it out a long time ago..I even left a comment :)

Jo: allah yesalmik :)

Foulla: I just left a comment on that section of your blog. Let me know what you think :)

Post a Comment
100 Years Ago

About me

  • Name: Sami
  • Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
My profile

Photo Album