« Home | One ordinary woman, one extraordinary legacy. ... » | Looking for a put-down? Nouns beat phrases. Resea... » | That's What I'm Talking About.. » | 1, 2, 3 Soleils » | Got tagged again.. » | I've been tagged... » | A little inspiration off a Starbucks cup.. » | My BeoBle ! » | Hitting it Solo.. » | Weird thingi over Northridge..UFO? :p » 

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 


  • I'm flying to New York on Friday to spend the weekend with a friend, and then take off to Riyadh on Sunday night. I picked up my ticket today. I guess I'm looking forward to spending the rest of Ramadan and Eid with my family....Haven't spent Eid with my family in like 4 or 5 years, so it's going to be fun. Good times in the Kingdom of Lunacy, as my home girl, Jo, calls it. I'm also looking forward to the good food. Hell yeah. Greasy shawermas, mfa6a7 (the only way to describe this big ass "dish" is that it's a thousand pounds worth of protein...yummy) lol. fa6ayer lebnah from Mama Nourah or Ya Mal Alsham. Let's see...What else am I looking forward to... Yeah, I'm looking forward to someone recognizing my presence. What I mean by that is having my mom, or one of my siblings, wake me up in the morning. I know I'm going to be grouchy and the high temp process that goes along with that, but still, I know that someone knows that I'm there. But here , I'd probably die in my sleep and nobody would even know until the neighbors start knocking on the door, curious about the inviting smell.



    What I love about Saudi Arabia is the social aspect of it. Especially in a holiday such as Eid. You see everybody and play catch up. It's fun until they start indulging in conspiracy theories, and that's when the knuckle brawling begins. It always ends up peaceful because you're going to hear someone in background shouting "arba3ah" (means 4 which refers to Balout, the favorite past time sport for the Saudi man. Next to the beloved siesta. Balout's a real fun game, I learned how to play last year, but I'm still trying to comprehend all the bluff processes. Playing Balout, my friends, is the only setting where it's socially acceptable to swear at your "respected figure" teammate. Either your dad, or uncle or what have you. (I once heard someone call his uncle "ya thoor" for screwing up a move). Anyhoo...That's pretty much what people do in Saudi Arabia, eat like pigs, sleep like there's no tomorrow, play Balout and consume all the tea crops that India has to offer to the world. I'm speaking for the Saudi male. The Saudi female, on the other hand, pretty much engages in all the above plus shopping. It's a pretty cool, laid back, society if you ask me. Everyone functions the same way. If you're caught doing something deviant, like reading a book in a Dunkin Donuts, you're labeled a "3ilmany." You're also labeled a "3ilmany," as well, if you a carry a Ph.D. in a social science.


    My family's originally from Al-Dwadmi, (a town about 3 hours north-west of Riyadh). We still have close relatives over there so we visit on such occasions like Eid. I have so many good memories of the town. One of my favorites is when Saudi Channel 2 started broadcasting over there in the early 90's. Tells you how boring this town is.
    I'm also looking forward to meeting up with a lot of friends. Some have changed, most haven't. People say Saudi society changes rapidly. I agree. One of the main changes I observe every time I go back is the moo'9ah...the fad. It's pretty much the only thing that changes in Saudi society, and it changes fast, too. Usually, it's the latest cell phone. You'd assume that people would learn from Nokia's marketing strategies but they don't. (I'm talking about how once you buy the latest state-of-the-art model, another new one comes out the next weekend). Another fad is the car. The Saudi male is obsessed with cars. He's even obsessed with cars that don't even fit the profile of an car. (Isn't the owner of the Bat-mobile Saudi?). Hang out spots are another fad. Usually coffee shops, shopping malls, and uh...umm...that's it.


    Generally speaking, the Saudi nightlife is amazing. Especially in Riyadh where the Saudi male is involved in cruising (driving around the streets of alta5a9u9i or Thalatheen untill he runs out of gas. He might keep cruising if his acquaintances are generous enough to pay for the gas). I'm not against cruising, it's actually good for an economy depending on oil revenues. Cruising is also another way for the male to get indulged with his inner instinct; hunting. Males and females are usually on a mission in the streets of Riyadh. Supply and demand. The male supplies the "number" when the female demands it. There are a lot of means in achieving this phenomenon. The old school method is to write your number down on a little piece of paper that is so small even NASA engineers can't figure out how to come up with such precise dimensions. The other method of "socializing" is to turn your phone-bluetooth function on and start socializing. Let's face it, we're social creators and we have to abide by that laws of nature.


    I'm watching a lot of 6ash ma 6ash these days to get a quick orientation in what's new in Saudi society. (6ash ma 6ash is a Saudi sitcom that's been very favored by the hardcore conservatives....they like it so much, they even labeled the staff of the show as "3ilmanies"..or is it "infidels"?) What I love about the show is that it's a good social satire, a true frustration outlet for Saudi society, just how Married with Children was an outlet for white-trash families in America. One thing I know I will never miss from my beloved Kingdom is this.
  • I just left a comment n UFF it didn't post. This is the MILLIONTH time it happens today so am not goin 2 re-type it again lol... just know i tried :)

    welcome back 8)

    I feel you man..how much you excited to come SA 8)

    hey may be when can meet in "sada altahliah" if yo want ?!?!?

    Sami! Have fun for the both of us :(.. or the many of us..
    I wont be going home for another.. oh 6 or 7 months :(
    Make sure you document EVERYTHING! I wanna know every little bit..
    Take a picture of faisaliah for me.. oh and mamlaka!.. oh oh.. Stradivarius!.. and Mama nuura.. bring me shawooormaaaaa ..

    Have fun .. seriously.. there's nothing like spending Eid with your family.. tiw9al bil salama inshalla

    That was a lovely post :) Sounds a lot like Kuwait, especially the cruising and bluetooth part. It's been two years since I played Balout...the first time I played it I won! But I had to know that order of the cards...I literally wrote down the rank of the cards and glanced at my cheatsheet to know what I'm doing! Say hello to the yummy food...mmm, shawerma...Seriously, I think we have the best food in the world. And how come you get to go home in the middle of the school year!

    LOL!
    7ayyak 7ayyak!

    i just LOVE how you presented and talked about saudi arabia
    jeeb malabes shetweyah tara beda eljaw yebred, it's roughly down to 21 degrees now and ppl are so met7amseen that they'r wearing sweaters :|, i tease my parents by telling them they're just getting old, i know i'm mean :/

    i LOVE Riyadh, if only i can drive :s .. when i'm away on vacations i miss it so much to a point that i even start missing stuipd MBC FM :| .. mashallah how can you guys do it? allah ygaweekom

    too9al belsalama

    Foulla: I apologize :p Hope you go back soon.

    Deedee: I really miss playing balout. It's been almost 4 months since I last played with friends.

    Jo:It's ok..5eerha b'3airha..

    Itachi: Sure...I know it's on alta7lyah but where exactly?

    Deedee: 7ayakee Allah..the more, the merrier lol

    Jaded: Allah yesalmik hunny bunn...

    Leeno: I'll take a lot of pics this time, which is something I regret not doing the last time I was there...Allah yesalmik.

    Erzulie: Balout's fun, if you take out the profanity, that is. Cruising on the other hand isn't :p Don't you guys have share3 al7ub or something? lol As for going back in the middle of the school, well, let's just say it was a series of unfortunate events which in the end lead to dropping my class. I wasn't ready for it, so to speak :p I'm going to reapply when I get back.

    Nourah: Allah ye7ayeek! Ay malabes shetwyah..I left them back in Idaho cause the weather here in L.A. barely changes :p
    I just need to catch up and get new clothes for al3eed. MBC-FM..that's fun too. How do we do it? well, it's easy if you try :p

    I'm curious as to what the young saudi woman can do for fun..I mean considering all the things a male can do, given your wonderful descriptions... :)

    have a safe trip and enjoy your time :)

    Pamela

    Lol, I'm surprised that you heard about the infamous share3 il 7ob. Yup, it exists. I've heard some pretty bizarre stories; 'accidental' flat tires, bluetoothing at the traffic light, scraps of paper flying about from car windows, you name it. And it sucks about school...I hope everything works out in the end. I'm not going for the whole nine yards but I'm hoping to get my masters...you know, take advantage of the limited time I have here and squeeze the sponge dry! All righty then...have a safe flight and equip yourself with a mandatory fab book and good music :)

    Pamela: Ironically, my female counter-part can do a lot of things and go to a lot of places compared to males. Don't get too hyped up about female oppression in this part of world, I sometimes feel that guys are the ones who are oppressed. (hate-mail welcomed) :p

    Reincarnated: Couples only gym...now, that's what I call motivation...

    Erzulie. share3 al7ub is pretty much like share3 alta5a9u9i in Riyadh. al5air 3indena we 3indkum :p As for school, I'm actually feeling better now that I dropped the semester, I guess I needed some time off. Btw, I graduated in early August, drove to LA three times in two weeks, found an apartment a day before school...so yeah..it was fun :p

    Foulla: thanks..inshallah I will.

    a.s.g: wallah yebeelha arba3ah lol thanks man

    Noor: ta9aleen be alsalamah....don't eat to much..I know I will lol

    Oh Sami I wish you a safe trip. I miss home but I am going later this Christmas..please post about your culutre shock (if you will have any) or any changes you will observe. I have been here as long as you have ..LooooooL I guess this is why I am carious to know what kind of reaction will you have once you actually go back?

    cheers and take care,

    Maha

    Maha: Culture shock? what are you talking about :p
    Here's my take on it...just go with out expectations. It's like a blind date. Your guy maybe hot...maybe not...he maybe nice...or maybe not. Hmm..I don't know where I was going with that...the bottom line, blind dates usually end with both parties going their separate ways.
    Like I said..nothing ever changes in Saudi Arabia...the moothah changes real fast, the mentality, eh, lek 3alaiha...I think the mental span changes every 2 years. That's what I think. So, If you were back last year...this year, it's going to be the same...but if the last time you were back was 2, 3 years ago..then..ya3ni..there's a little change...I don't even know why I typed all this bs. But hey, it's all good.

    nice theory about the 2 yearz thing ;) i believe it's true ... yalla, hope u enjoy the shawerma n the mfa6a7 :P

    BTW, ur blog is gr8 :D

    6ab3an etroo7 o terja3 bel salama :D...going back home is nice, but spending 3eed at home is GREAT! i really envy U:'(...anyway 3alek bel 3afya ...enjoy UR time as much as U can ;)...
    and as for the 2 years theory >>> LoOoLz i guess i agree with it;p
    share3 el 7ob, i've heard about it too, and that type of places is available in every GCC country *rolling eyes*...
    :S
    and what's with the Balout game >>> ma3arefha .'__'. ?

    LoOoLz
    TaKe CaRe MaN

    $uper mo: thanks hun : )

    Baby G: Allah yesalmik : )

    I'm sorry for the short responses ya $uper mo and Baby G...I've been up all night...it's 2:30 in the afternoon now and I'm going to get some sleep. Hopefully I'll elaborate more on what you two said later on :p

    LOL...As 4 me, never mind what i said...hope u'll get good sleep...

    hey Sami,

    I visited some years ago and I had a bad back-culture shock (if we can call it this way :) ) ...may be because I am a woman, things might have happened to me differently but I just couldn't wear this Abayah again. I was like ...for the love of God, just let me pass myself as a Sayrian or an Egyption but my mother insisted that I honor the family (I completely understood and agreed) by wearing it. However, I couldn't focer my face. ..Now, I am not sure how things will be for me, but I am older and calmer. ....:)

    But boy do I miss SA>..Oh man I miss everything in it and I want to hug my mother so hard and cry like a child. I know this does not sound mature but I don't care...I MISS EVERYTHING AND I WANT TO BE A CHILD AGAIN :(

    by the way, the above comment was by me....Maha :)

    focer = cover

    go figure :)


    Maha

    $uper mo: I slept like a baby :p

    Farah: Allah yenwer ayamek and stuff : )

    Maha: Reverse cultural shock..it happens :P

    Alright kids...be good...
    nshoofkum in a few days inshallah..


    I'm off like a highschool prom dress : )

    التخصصي؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟!! يا انت قديم بعد يابو الشباب
    ياللا نشوفك فيذا قريب

    Dude, Sami,

    Come to Amman while you're in the 'hood! Call me!

    Ramadan karim!

    Salam,
    M

    aww sami :(
    We miss you!

    Post a Comment
    100 Years Ago

    About me

    • Name: Sami
    • Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
    My profile

    Photo Album