« Home | Episode 1 » | On the road again...(part 3 or 4) » | I like it...I like it a looot » | Got Tag? » | Zero motivation...someone shoot me... » | Bye Bye City of Angels » | 16th St. Clock Tower Originally uploaded b... » | Stoners? Boulder? Uh..So? » | The Rockies.. » | Riding the Free Waves... » 

Monday, April 03, 2006 

Episode 2


  • This is my first time staying in Salt Lake City, even though I have passed through it a thousand times. After waking up later on that night I thought I'd go grab a bite. It's my birthday so I thought I'd treat myself to a nice place. I drove around looking for good place, couldn't figure out what my taste buds were into, so I pulled over to the nearest Denny's for some eggs, hash-browns, and toast.

    Downtown Salt Lake looked like the Meccah of Utah, if not the United States. There's the huge Mormon Temple, and the streets are numbered accordingly to their distance from the main temple. There are churches scattered here and there. One of the obscure aspects I noticed about downtown Salt Lake was the lack of coffee shops. It's hard to imagine that the Starbucks empire has had no Inquisitions in this part of town. It finally hit me that active Latter-day Saints (Mormons) abstain from drinking coffee. This practice derives from an 1833 revelation known as the Word of Wisdom, which states that "hot drinks are not for the body or the belly." Specifically speaking about coffee, Mormons state that caffeine is considered as a pollutant to their bodies. I'm not really sure, but the ironic thing is that bars were all over the place there. Alcohol or caffeine, which is more pollutant? Anyway, we have to respect other people's beliefs and views, but hell, I sure wanted a decent cup of coffee that day. I ended up staying another night in Salt Lake. I don't even remember why.

    I hit the road the next morning continuing my journey towards Fort Collins, Colorado. Utah is beautiful; the mountains, the trees, dawn and sunsets, and the deceased deer scattered through out the shoulder lanes. This pretty collage vanished once I entered Wyoming. Let me make something clear here, Wyoming must be the the worst state I've ever driven through. I can speak for southern Wyoming at least. It brought back bad images from the Riyadh/Taif road, where pretty much you drive through the same terrain and scenery for around seven hours straight. I can say one thing, the terrain wasn't that pretty. It seemed like the film strip had kept going around in circle and nobody had bothered to replace it. Allahuma lai3tera'9.

    That all changed as soon as I passed the Welcome to Colorado sign. Out of nowhere, poof! Everything turned green...

    To be continued...
  • hey there

    glad you liked slc. mormonsville is my hometown for right now.. u didnt see the 2 mosques we have?

    What a great roadtrip Sami... I could sure use one..
    I never knew mormons didn't drink coffee.. so what about ice coffees ay?
    Through all the years of roadtrips with my phobic dad I don't think we've ever driven through Utah nor Wyoming-- one could almost forget those states exist heh

    wanasa, lol, ajal Taif huh??

    so they didn't have coffe or what? i dont get it =S

    "Fort Collins" sounds so cool, lol

    lets see how this ended =D

    Sami,

    This is my first time reading your blog, but I just read the post above and noticed you said "It was your Birthday" but no one said Happy Birthday. I know my wish is probably even beyond the belated category but please accept my warm wishes that you have a great year.

    Post a Comment
    100 Years Ago

    About me

    • Name: Sami
    • Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
    My profile

    Photo Album